The name Belle Vue originates from Belle Vue
actually a large farmhouse
demolished prior to the building of the old Penarth Urban District Council
Offices in the early 1880s.
The Council decided that the land opposite their
which originally contained a quarry so
deep that after heavy rain in 1877 two brothers
were drowned in it
would be ideal for a bowling
green and gardens
and in 1912 it was acquired
from the Earl of Plymouth. The gardens were
finally opened in September 1914 and developed
as a sloping park and a bowling green.
The green was opened in 1922 but was dogged with
problems during its early years as the surface
condition failed to meet the required standards.
Vandalism was also a problem in the gardens from
the 1920s onwards. A children's play area was
constructed in the late 1940s.
Recent years have seen a remarkable renaissance
in the park as a result of the community group
the Friends of Belle Vue Park. The Friends have
worked with enthusiasm to keep the standards of
the Park high
working in close collaboration
with the Vale of Glamorgan Council's Parks
Division. The Penarth Society also made
important contributions to this work.
Improvements made in the last few years include
new gates and dog-proof
new path surfaces
additional tree and shrub planting
installation of new artworks
and a completely
refurbished play area. These have now completely
transformed the feel of the park and have turned
it into a well-used and much-loved local asset.
Not only did the Friends group provide the
inspiration for these changes
but it also
raised most of the funding for these exciting
new developments. The revitalised park is now
the venue for a varied and stimulating programme
of events organised by the Friends group
has become a focus for the local community.
This work resulted in Belle Vue receiving
Green Flag Award over several successive
A link to the latest Google Streetview is provided below but please be aware that this may be somewhat out of date.