The Paget Rooms were built in 1906 to an eclectic design by J. Coates Carter on land leased from the Earl of Plymouth who had married Alberta Paget in 1883.

The building is rectangular with a facade of roughcast render (painted) over brown glazed brick plinth. rendered facade over a dado of brown glazed brick The upper storey has a row of seven small pane casement windows with a small round window to the left. The central main entrance consists of a low round arch flanked by ionic columns with exaggerated capitals and paired glazed wooden doors with a multi-paned transom. Above the arch there is a pair of small-pane casement windows flanked by aedicules enclosing cartouches.

The interior of the building has an auditorium 55ft x 33ft a stage 25ft deep and a proscenium 30ft wide and has a seated capacity of 280. It is Grade II listed.

In the 1930s the building became the Willmore Brothers' "Regal Cinema" before the Penarth Urban District Council (now defunct) acquired the building in the 1950s.

Penarth was a principal "Recruitment Fitting Out Centre" for the RAF during World War II and many new National Service personnel were issued with their uniforms and other equipment at the Paget Rooms.

The building is now owned and managed by Penarth Town Council. and continues to be used as a theatre and concert hall a venue for public meetings and seminars and for a variety of community activities throughout the year.

A new satellite based cinema facility enabling performances to be beamed live from locations such as London's National Theatre was opened in July 2015



A link to the latest Google Streetview is provided below but please be aware that this may be somewhat out of date.

Google Streetview