The small Garden of Remembrance adjacent to the town entrance to Alexandra Park was created in 1934.
The plot on which the garden was constructed was given to the Town by the Earl of Plymouth,
specifically to be a Garden of Remembrance. Much of the cost, except the labour, was provided by donations from Penarth residents.
The Garden was formally opened on November 11th 1934, Armistice Day. The Penarth Times reported the Garden as:-
...divided by means of white lines, into tiny square plots in which were afterwards placed small wooden crosses
by the friends and relatives of those who were bereaved. A lamp, fixed to the trunk of a tree and directed
upon the memorial tablet becomes lighted as the sun goes down to impress with a deep signification
the lines 'At the going down of the sun we shall remember them.'
A commemorative tablet was placed in the Garden (now lost) and two beautiful art-deco seats were donated in December 1934.
Although well respected and a focus during the annual Remembrance Day parade, the Garden gradually deteriorated until, in 2010, under a Penarth Society initiative,
a small group consisting of representatives from the Vale of Glamorgan Council, the Royal British Legion and the Penarth Society,
embarked on a project to improve the garden's layout and appearance.
The main body of the restoration work was carried out by the Vale of Glamorgan Council and the garden was eventually re-opened in time for Remembrance Day, 2012.
The garden now incorporates a new design by Diana Mead for the central grassed area which allows more space for wreath layers
at the Remembrance Day ceremony. The Society, together with the Royal British Legion,
offered to contribute to the cost of refurbishing the stone memorial, including purchase of a replacement plinth.
Large conifers which cast most of the garden into shade were removed, hedges replanted and railings refurbished.
Two new art deco benches based on those shown in a photograph of the original garden were
specially commissioned by the Vale and are now placed where the originals (sadly lost some time ago) were once sited.
Comments have been favourable and the project has shown what organisations
(The Penarth Society, The Royal British Legion, the Vale and Town Councils) can achieve through working together.
Click on the images below to see the larger picture.
A link to the latest Google Streetview is provided below but please be aware that this may be somewhat out of date.