of Trinity Methodist Church began in 1899
wedge-shaped piece of land which had belonged to
Woodland Farm. It replaced an earlier corrugated
iron ‘Tin Church’which had been built there in
The main church was opened on January 2
less than three weeks before Queen Victoria’s
death. It was designed and built by a
partnership of Cardiff architects
Richards and Budgen
in the Victorian
in grey-brown stone with
shafts in polished granite.
The building has a cruciform layout
altar at the east end
and contains a high
quality organ over 100 years old built by Norman
& Beard Ltd. The stained-glass windows are the
work of H J Salisbury.
A War Memorial stands outside the main door and
was dedicated in September 1921
inscribed Roll of Honour is displayed in the
The church hall
just beyond the church at the
was constructed in grey stone with
and with dressings and
quoins in yellow brick at the rear. The hall was
built shortly before the church itself
1897 to the end of 1900 was used for the church
From about 1900, the hall, now known as Penarth Meeting Rooms, served as schoolrooms for many years but was rebuilt following a severe fire in 1997 and is now used for a variety of community events.
Penarth Meeting Rooms are owned and controlled by the church but the facility is specifically made available to the community as part of its Christian outreach.
You can learn more about Trinity Methodist Church by visiting the church's website via the link below.