Built in 1883
Penarth Yacht Club (PYC) occupies a
prominent position next to the RNLI station at
the southern end of the seafront Esplanade.
It is a two storey building with a rear wall of
red brick with white brick lacing course at the
eaves. The front and side walls are in painted
roughcast cladding to the ground floor
stucco on the upper floor and attics.
The roofs are clad in slate
enlivened in the
front pitch by attic gables of varying shapes
and there are red ridge and crest tiles and
The front elevation has a balconied veranda of
seven (first floor) and eight (ground floor)
bays; supported on fluted twisted cast-iron
columns with Corinthian capitals. The ornamental
cast iron columns and ballisters on the balcony
were manufactured by Walter Macfarlane & Co at
the Saracen Foundry
and installed in
The Club has a long and interesting history.
Many Penarth Yacht Club members volunteered for
the Dunkirk evacuation and sailed their yachts
and motor boats around the coast and across the
English Channel to France. Several never
having been killed by mines and enemy
action during the many crossings.
A more detailed account of the Club's history is
available on the Club's own website at:-